If you have never been to Paris, you probably want to go. Here is a list of top ten reasons to book a flight immediately:
1. Le Tour Eiffel is one of the most romantic monuments on the planet. Ride the elevator to the top for a panoramic view of the city (and for a kiss). Picnic on the grass around its base. Book a hotel room with a view of the tower. From any perspective, Gustave Eiffel's masterpiece is quintessential Paris.
The Eiffel Tower: A French Affair
Eiffel Tower: Best Scenic Viewpoint
2. Musee du Louvre is so famous, so filled with great collections of art, so architecturally magnificent, that it deserves at least one visit. Its mammoth presence on the cityscape is undeniable. Since its Roman beginnings as a fortress, it has been the residence of kings and the repository for great works of art through the centuries.
Musee du Louvre
3. The River Seine sublimely splits the city of Paris in two. There is the Right Bank. There is the Left Bank. Each has its own personality, museums, eateries, parks and charm. The river itself is spanned by beautiful bridges such as the venerable Pont Neuf. One can take a cruise on the Seine, rest upon its banks or merely survey the beauty of Paris, reflected in its waters.
Pont Neuf New Bridge
Pont Neuf: Best Scenic Viewpoint
4. Les Jardins du Luxembourg is the beloved city park populated by the citizens of Paris, and tourists alike. In any season the gardens offer splendid respite from the frenetic pace of the city.
Jardin du Luxembourg at the Palais du Luxembourg
Carousel at the Jardin du Luxembourg
5. The cafes of Paris play an important role in daily life. Have a seat, take coffee or tea, inside or on the terrace, and people-watch to your heart's content. Whether you are meeting a friend for a sandwich jambon (ham sandwich) or just taking a well-earned shopping break, the classic Parisian cafe is ubiquitous.
Les Deux Magots
6. Climb the steps to the top of the Arc de Triomphe for a spectacular view of Paris. Napoleon Bonaparte commissioned this monument to celebrate his military conquests.
Arc de Triomphe: Best Scenic Viewpoint
7. Cathedrale Notre Dame de Paris is one magnificent church. Paris is blessed with a plethora of architectural religious gems, but Notre Dame reigns supreme with its gargoyles, stained glass, flying buttresses, and soaring interior.
Notre Dame de Paris: Churches of Paris
8. Musee d'Orsay is heaven for lovers of Impressionist art. Formerly a train depot, this museum's collection is comprehensive and stunning.
Musee D'Orsay: Major Art Museums
9. The Paris Metro is a marvel of public transportation engineering, easy to navigate, whisking one from one corner of the city to another, cheaply, and efficiently. Kids love to ride the metro. It's an experience. Beautiful Art Nouveau entrances and tiled interiors transport residents and visitors day and night, unless of course, there is a strike.
Paris Metron: Function Intersects Art
Paris Metro/Public Transportation
10. The baguette. Top boulangeries (bakeries) compete for the 'Best Baguette in Paris Award' yearly. This simple, traditional, totally French bread, is delectable, whether slathered with butter and jam, or made into a sandwich. When you see a line snaking outside a neighborhood bakery, early in the morning, with the smell of oven-fresh goodness wafting into the street, watch to see if Parisians are exiting with slender tall loaves called baguettes. Snag one if you can.
Best Baguette in Paris